The most vulnerable adults among us are often our elderly. Often elderly adults become victims of abuse in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. An estimated 1 to 2 million elderly adults are injured, exploited or mistreated every year. Problems of malnutrition, bedsores, neglect, infections, falls, fractures, dehydration, failure to medicate & monitor, financial abuse, as well as physical, verbal, and sexual abuse exists in many nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
At O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley, we are committed to helping the elderly and their families through these difficult situations. Every person deserves to be safe from harm by those who care for them. If your loved one has suffered abuse in a nursing home, assisted living facility or from in-home care provider, the experienced trial attorneys at O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley can help you obtain justice for your loved one. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Major Types of Elder Abuse
- Physical abuse: Hitting, beating, pushing, shaking, slapping, and burning, the use of inappropriate drugs and physical restraints, force-feeding, and physical punishment of any kind.
- Neglect: Dehydration, malnutrition, untreated bed sores, poor personal hygiene, unattended or untreated health problems and unsanitary and unclean living conditions.
- Emotional, psychological or mental abuse: Verbal assaults, insults, threats, intimidation, humiliation, harassment, and forced isolation.
- Financial: The illegal or improper use of an elder's funds, property, or assets. Such as, cashing an elderly person's checks without permission; forging an older person's signature; misusing or stealing an older person's money or possessions and coercing or deceiving an older person into signing any document.
- Sexual abuse: Sexual contact with any person incapable of giving consent is sexual abuse. It includes, but is not limited to, unwanted touching, all types of sexual assault or battery, such as rape, sodomy, and coerced nudity.
- Abandonment - The desertion of a vulnerable elder by anyone who has assumed the responsibility for care or custody of that person.
If your loved one has been physically, medically, psychologically, or financially abused, neglected, or exploited, by a nursing home, assisted care facility or in-home care provider, call O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley today for a free initial consultation and case evaluation.
The attorneys at O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley are well known and respected throughout the legal community and among our clients. From our offices in Contra Costa County, San Francsico and Sacramento, we serve clients throughout Northern California. Our experience and expertise are available to you.
We serve clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area including San Francisco, Contra Costa, Oakland, Alameda, Walnut Creek, Concord, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood, Danville, Richmond, Martinez, Orinda, Lafayette, Oakley, Pinole, San Pablo, Clayton, Benicia, San Ramon, Vallejo, Santa Rosa, Fremont, Hayward, Pleasanton, San Mateo, Daly City, Oakland, Richmond, Pacifica, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Redwood City, San Anselmo, San Bruno, San Carlos Napa, Sonoma, Vacaville, Fairfield, Pleasant Hill, Moraga, Clayton, Albany, American Canyon, El Cerrito, Dublin, Livermore, San Leandro, San Rafael, Santa Clara, Sausalito, South San Francisco, East Palo Alto, El Sobrante, Emeryville, Fairfax Union City, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Menlo Park, Bayside, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Foster City, Corte Madera, Greenbrae, Half Moon Bay, Healdsburg, Kensington, Larkspur, Martinez, Mill Valley, Milpitas, Mountain View, Newark, Novato, Brisbane, Burlingame, Campbell, East Bay, Silicon Valley, and Napa Valley, Oakley, and Discovery Bay, as well as Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Alameda, Marin, Napa, and Sonoma counties.