Commercial Truck AccidentsThe United States Department of Transportation data shows that there are almost 500,000 truck accidents in the United States each year. It has been estimated that as many as 8% - 12% of all fatal accidents are caused by big rigs. A big rig truck can weigh more than 80,000 pounds and be up to 75 feet in length. Because of this difference in size and weight from passenger vehicles, it is not shocking that truck accidents result in more traumatic injuries and a larger number of deaths than all other traffic accidents.
At O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley we have over 50 years of experience. We have the expertise and a proven track record of success. If you or a loved one has been the victim of trucking or big rig accident and would like to speak with an attorney, please contact us. We are here to answer your questions and discuss how to protect your legal rights.
Reasons for accidents involving 18 wheelers:
- Negligence on the part of the truck driver
- Negligence of other drivers involved in the accident
- Failure to inspect brakes, tires and lights
- Falling asleep at the wheel. Long work-shifts that cause driver fatigue
- Cell phone use
- Failure to install blind spot mirrors
- Speeding and ignoring reduced truck speed limit
Passenger cars Safety tips:
- Keep as much space as possible between your vehicle and large trucks.
- Do not linger alongside a truck; you may be in the trucker’s blind spot.
- Do not cut in front of a truck. Trucks take longer to stop.
- Do not tailgate a large truck. If you are following a truck and cannot see the truck’s side mirrors, the driver cannot see you.
- Always give trucks plenty of room when they are turning.
The attorneys at O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley are well known and respected throughout the legal community and among our clients. From our offices in Contra Costa County, San Francsico and Sacramento, we serve clients throughout Northern California. Our experience and expertise are available to you.
We serve clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area including San Francisco, Contra Costa, Oakland, Alameda, Walnut Creek, Concord, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood, Danville, Richmond, Martinez, Orinda, Lafayette, Oakley, Pinole, San Pablo, Clayton, Benicia, San Ramon, Vallejo, Santa Rosa, Fremont, Hayward, Pleasanton, San Mateo, Daly City, Oakland, Richmond, Pacifica, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Redwood City, San Anselmo, San Bruno, San Carlos Napa, Sonoma, Vacaville, Fairfield, Pleasant Hill, Moraga, Clayton, Albany, American Canyon, El Cerrito, Dublin, Livermore, San Leandro, San Rafael, Santa Clara, Sausalito, South San Francisco, East Palo Alto, El Sobrante, Emeryville, Fairfax Union City, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Menlo Park, Bayside, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Foster City, Corte Madera, Greenbrae, Half Moon Bay, Healdsburg, Kensington, Larkspur, Martinez, Mill Valley, Milpitas, Mountain View, Newark, Novato, Brisbane, Burlingame, Campbell, East Bay, Silicon Valley, and Napa Valley, Oakley, and Discovery Bay, as well as Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Alameda, Marin, Napa, and Sonoma counties.