Highway 238's traffic has slowed to a crawl due to a pileup of two big rigs and a car that cause the death of at least one person.
Around 5:24a.m. a sedan struck two big rig trucks, becoming trapped under one while causing the other to leak gas.
The Alameda Country Fire crews tried to extract the driver of the smaller vehicle that had become trapped underneath one of the big rigs as of 5:45a.m., but without success. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:30a.m.
The California Highway Patrol received the report at approximately 5:20a.m. on northbound Highway 238, near the Interstate Highway 880 connector and south of Hesperian.
On July 4th at about 9:35 PM, a vehicle hit an unidentified cyclist in East Oakland, killing him. Police reported that the vehicle didn't stop, even after dragging the cyclist for around 100 feet. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses reported a dark silver, late model sedan with a broken windshield leaving the scene on International Blvd., near 81st Ave. Skid marks at the scene indicate that the driver knew he or she had hit something, said a police spokesperson.
Investigators will soon search the area and pull surveillance videos from streets and nearby stores to see if a clear image of the vehicle was recorded.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $10,000 in reward money for information leading to the arrest of the driver. Anyone with information may call police at 777-8570 or Crime Stoppers at 510-777-8572 or 510-777-3211.
Six sisters who had been sexually abused by their parents virtually every day since they were toddlers say that their nightmare grew more horrific as the people they counted on to rescue them -- police, child-welfare workers, their church pastor -- failed to deliver.
Bruce "Zion" Dutro, 51, was sentenced to 300 years in state prison, and his 49-year-old wife was sentenced to 15 years in 2011 after taking a plea deal in what veteran sex crimes prosecutor Paul Graves called the worst child sex abuse case in memory to go through Contra Costa County courts.
A year after their parents were imprisoned for sex crimes spanning 20 years, the Dutro sisters -- Glenda Stripes, Amber and Sarah Dutro, Martha McKnelly, Frances Smith and Christina Moore -- are now suing the people and agencies they say failed to protect them as children by not following laws and procedures for handling child abuse.
"Every one of the agencies had the duty and power to save these girls, and every one failed them," said the sisters' attorney, Jason Runckel, founding partner of O'Connor, Runckel & O'Malley. "They made their father untouchable. The girls never had a voice."
The lawsuit, filed in Contra Costa Superior Court last week against Contra Costa County, city of Antioch, Calvary Open Bible Church in Antioch, and seven individuals who are either current or former CPS, police department or church employees. It alleges the defendants were negligent and failed to fulfill state-mandated duties that, if done, would have spared the Dutro children years of further abuse.
"We came forward because we didn't want it to happen to another child," said Sarah Dutro, 28. "We didn't know until the case was over how badly everyone screwed up before." The suit asks for an undisclosed amount for past and future medical bills, and pain and suffering for the sisters, each of whom suffers from severe psychological disorders as a result of the abuse. Now adults with 12 children among them, the sisters gave permission to reveal their names in this story.
The 22-page civil complaint names defendant Mark Wood as the pastor whom Stripes first told about the abuse Aug. 2, 1995, and claims his immediate tipoff to the parents afforded them time to condition their daughters to lie to authorities.
That same day, the parents locked up five of the girls in one bedroom and Glenda in another, the victims said. For 16 days, until police sent CPS to the house Aug. 18, 1995, the sisters said they were beaten, starved, sleep-deprived and brainwashed on what to say to authorities. Young Glenda, meanwhile, was subjected to the same torture between rapes.
Wood, Stripes and her parents first went to the Antioch Police Department six days after the 14-year-old had confided in Wood. Officer William Dee noted in his police report that he was instructed by Detective Demetree Barakos before the meeting not to arrest Bruce Dutro, and so he sent the family home after obtaining a confession from the father, said Runckel, the sisters' attorney. Both Barakos and Dee are defendants in the lawsuit. It was another officer who called Bruce Dutro back to the Police Department on Aug. 18, 1995, and sent CPS to the house after obtaining a second confession.
"They actually apologized to my parents for being there, as if it was an inconvenience," said McKnelly, 26. Bruce Dutro pleaded to one count of child molestation for fondling Stripes, when in reality he was raping her, she said, and he spent four days in jail before being sentenced Nov. 1, 1995, to three years of probation. The judge ordered him to register as a sex offender and obey all CPS orders.
For the first six months of his probation, Bruce Dutro lived in an apartment near the family home. Glenda Lea Dutro moved in with him, leaving their daughters by themselves at the house with little food. Like many times in the course of their childhood, the Dutro girls were not enrolled in school.
At night, their mother would bring one of them to the apartment to have sex with their father. Had anyone from the county ever visited the house as they were supposed to, they would have at minimum learned that the girls were living without adult supervision, Runckel said.
"My father told me after 1995 and he was slapped on the wrists, every time he molested me, it was like laughing in their face," Stripes said. "It's not about getting money. I want things to change so no child has to go through what I went through."
O'Connor, Runckel and O'Malley is a law firm dedicated to the protection of the victims of sexual abuse.
Police investigation has yet to bring up any concrete evidence in the case of the teen driver of the SUV that hit several bicyclists on April 7th in Concord, CA. Nine year old Hadessa and 41 year old Solaiman Nuri were killed outright in the crash, but Hadessa’s 12-year old sister left the scene with very minor injuries.
Toxicology tests are still underway, and investigators are still gathering witness accounts, examining physical evidence, and pulling cell phone records to discover just why the accident occurred. Prosecutors are taking their time with the investigation because they want to gather enough information to decide how to charge the teen. It is speculated that the case will be presented to the District Attorney’s Office in under two weeks.
A neighbor of Aborlando Drive in Walnut Creek suspects that the seventeen year old was one of the teens cited for alcohol possession a week prior during a party. It has been pointed out that the license plate of the white Escalade (March 31st alcohol possession incident) matches that of the white Escalade involved in the April 7th double fatality crash. Police are looking into this connection.
A Wrongful Death is a death caused by a negligent, careless, intentional or reckless act of another person or corporation. All states guarantee the right to compensation for families and children of those who are killed in a wrongful death.
At O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley, we represent clients who have lost loved ones due to others negligence. With nearly 50 years of litigation and trial experience, we are not afraid to take anyone to trial that has wrongfully caused the death of your loved one, spouse, child, or family member. While most cases involving wrongful death settle out of court, when bringing a wrongful death suit to court, we work closely with our clients to present a full picture of the loss that surviving family members have suffered. We work to make sure you and your loved ones are receive the Fair Compensation that you are entitled too. That compensation will include present and future wages, medical expenses, and funeral costs, but it will also include loss of love, guidance and companionship, moral support, and financial support.
If you have lost a loved one in an accident caused by another, you may be eligible to seek a remedy and payment. Protect your rights, contact an experienced trial lawyer. When you call the law offices of O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley, you will be talking with an attorney who has spoken with hundreds of people in your similar circumstance. You will be treated with the respect and sympathy you need during your time of heartbreak and anguish.
The Jury has begun deliberations in the case of a Utah man who is accused of causing a head on collision on the Highway 4 Bypass in Martinez that killed two, and then fleeing the scene back in June of 2010. The accused, John Bryan McDonald, 46, faces two counts of vehicular manslaughter with an enhancement for allegedly swerving into the lane in front of a westbound Honda Civic, forcing the driver to swerve into oncoming traffic. The Honda then collided head-on with a Harley-Davidson motorcycle driven by Anthony Soldano of Burlingame. Soldano died at the scene, and his passenger Gina Blackstone of Brentwood died later that day at an Antioch hospital.
The distric attorney's office alleged that McDonald became enraged when the Honda twice cut him off, and in retaliation, he recklessly cut into the Honda's path. To avoid hitting McDonald's boat trailer, the 19 year old Honda driver swerved into oncoming traffic.
After the fiery crash that left two dead, and the driver of the Honda with a broken femur, McDonald fled the scene. His vehicle and boat were tracked down by the California Highway Patrol, aided by stories in print and broadcast media and tips from the general public. The vehicle and the boat were both located in Southern California, and officers identified McDonald by his Utah license plates.
According to officials, McDonald was in California visiting family. After locating the car and boat, they were able to link McDonald to the accident. He is on trial for gross vehicular manslaughter for the two fatalities, and hit and run with great bodily injury for the driver of the Honda.
According to National Highway Traffic safety Administration statistics, auto accidents are the leading cause of death and injury in the United States. Victims of car accidents that are the result of another driver’s negligence or reckless behavior may be entitled to compensation. At O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley we have 50 years of litigation and trial experience. We have the expertise and a proven track record of success. If you or a loved one has been the victim of motor vehicle negligence and would like to speak with an attorney, please contact us. We are here to answer your questions and discuss how to protect your legal rights.