PALM SPRINGS, CA – James Tramel, a Hillsborough tech executive was fatally electrocuted Sunday in a swimming pool accident, according to authorities and Tramel’s employer.

Tramel and six others received a serious electrical shock while in the pool. Firefighters on the scene determined that the shock was most likely due to “faulty pool wires.”

The incident occurred at a private residence located on Yosemite Drive in the city of Palm Springs and was reported at around 4:00 p.m. The police and fire department soon arrived and found 43-year-old Tramel along with his 9-year-old daughter undergoing CPR by bystanders.

 

Palm Springs Pool Electrocution
Picture courtesy of KRON 4 News

According to police, the seven victims were taken to hospitals in the area. Tramel was taken to Desert Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on Sunday. His daughter was taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center, and remained in critical condition on Monday.

A GoFundMe page has been posted in order to raise money for the family. According to the page, Tramel dove into the pool in an attempt to save his daughter.

Contact O'Connor, Runckel & O'Malley

Mitchell Weisman, who is founder and CEO of RevJet, the San Carlos-based technology firm where Tramel worked as V.P. of sales, wrote on the GoFundMe page, “We are simply heartbroken. Jim’s wonderful wife Kim and the children are now facing the future without a husband and father.” He went on to say, “Even worse, Jim’s oldest daughter is fighting for her life in intensive care. We ask for everyone’s prayers so that she may survive and recover from this tragedy.”

According to Weisman, the goal for the GoFundMe page is to raise at least $150,000 to help provide for Tramel’s children. As of Tuesday, more than $93,000 had already been raised.

Police at the scene said that Tramel and his daughter needed to be pulled out of the pool, but all the other victims, who are 6 to 45 years of age, were further from the faulty wires and/or equipment, so were able to get out of the pool on their own.

Four victims were treated and released from the hospital; a 10-year-old girl was still at Loma Linda as of Monday, in stable condition according to police.

The Tramel family left their home in Hillsborough last week to vacation in Palm Springs, where they have a home. Their plan was to spend some time with friends and family.

Tragically, when property owners and/or managers neglect to properly oversee to ensure that electrical codes and standards are met and maintained it can lead to electrocution fatalities and injuries. For this to be avoided those who own a home with a swimming pool, boat owners, resorts and recreational facilities must take good care of everything on their property, including any electrical equipment.

Unfortunately, it is a fairly common occurrence that a swimmer is electrocuted because of the faulty wiring of swimming pool lights. Property owners have a duty to maintain their premises so it is always a safe and secure environment for any visitors, swimmers, vacationers and/or customers. 

If you or a loved one has been electrocuted, burned or injured due to a property owner’s negligence, you may want to speak to an attorney to determine whether you are entitled to receive compensation.

The attorneys at O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley are here to help answer any questions you may have and to discuss how best to protect your legal rights. We are a well-known, highly reputable personal injury law firm with offices in Contra Costa County, San Francisco and Sacramento, serving clients throughout Northern California. Please contact us so that we can put our experience and legal expertise to work for you.

(Source: CC Times )

Published on behalf of O’Connor, Runckel & O’Malley LLP

Free Consultation

Million Dollar AdvocatesMulti-Million Dollar AdvocatesConsumer Attorneys of California Yelp Reviews - Walnut Creek Attorney SuperLawyersAvvo Walnut Creek Attorney